Our History

Founded in 1888, The Epiphany School was established to provide the highest quality education to the school-age children of The Epiphany Parish, today we educate more than 550 students from all over New York City.

Epiphany’s Education Program was conducted by the Sisters of Charity from the founding until 1978. The presence of Christian Brothers for the Boys’ division began in 1900 and ended in 1935. Since 1978, a lay principal and staff have continued the rich tradition and goals first instituted by these two renowned teaching orders.

During the 2013-2014 academic year, The Epiphany School celebrated its 125th Anniversary with Cardinal Timothy Dolan offering a special mass, marking over a century of growth and achievement.

“We have no time to lose because today is shaping tomorrow and our most precious heritage is our youth.”– Mother Marie Alma, Foundress, Sisters of Charity

Our Buildings

Our original 1888 building at 234 East 22nd Street was completely remodeled in 1947 to meet the demands of a growing population. In September of 1991 the school expanded into a second building at 141 East 28th Street, the school building from St. Stephen Parish. Our third location, The Epiphany Early Childhood Center located at 152 East 29th Street, was opened in 2009 and brought together the Nursery and Pre-Kindergarten programs. Beginning in the Fall of 2016 the Toddler Twos Program will be a part of the Early Childhood Center.

Our Mascot      

The Blue Jay, a symbol of resourcefulness, faithfulness, and determination, owes its role as The Epiphany School mascot to Ms Leslie Jay, a beloved Kindergarten teacher at The Epiphany School from 1975-1997. 

Ms. Jay mentored our first grade teacher, Ms. Kathleen O’Connell, when she first arrived at The Epiphany School. Ms. O’Connell has fond memories of Ms. Jay, she remembers her this way: “Ms. Jay was the Head Teacher for the very first Kindergarten class at The Epiphany School. Over the years Leslie became a legend at The Epiphany School.  Not only was Leslie loved by the students but was an esteemed mentor to the teachers as well.  She will always be remembered reciting “T’was the Night Before Christmas” with her Kindergarteners or playing bobbing for donuts at the school Halloween party! The Epiphany community was heartbroken when Ms. Jay passed in 1997 but her name and memory will live on forever with The Epiphany Blue Jays!!”